Cucumber Seedlings

Cucumber Seedlings

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring has come early!

Early spring is still a blend of browns and grays
It's the warmest March Montreal has seen in 70 years, according to the CBC, with a projected high of 20 degrees (68F) and clear blue skies.  And what greater way to celebrate the warmth than by stepping out into the garden (in a tank top!!!) and surveying the land. 

The tulips and crocus have pushed their leaves above the soil.  I look forward to their blue and orange blooms in the coming months.  But the arrival of the spring bulbs makes me curious about the garlic below the soil as well.  I marked the garlic with thin green poles so I could anticipate its sprouting.  The leaves I used to mulch and insulate the soil are still quite thick on the surface.  But sure enough, as I peel them away I see the green garlic tips poking out from the warm soil.  I'd like to also report that the chives are also making a nice showing and are already a few inches high. Ah, spring is in the air!
 
Garlic and tulips and chives, oh my!
 

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! Can't wait to see the new blooms.
    Baby avocados have replaced a full bloom of flowers in Maunawili.
    Aloha from MaunawiliMom

    ReplyDelete